The cycling world is full of characters with their own unique look at life and the sport. They have earned legendary status, so their admirers pay attention when they speak.
Over the years, athletes and cycling fans have come up with some excellent cycling quotes. So we thought it was about time we collated some cycling motivational quotes to inspire you for your next ride.
Here are some of the best bicycle quotes and cycling quotes by some of the most inspirational people in the business.
Cycling Motivational Quotes From Professionals
1. “In Mendrisio, I felt it – the exhilaration of what the bike has to offer. It’s a simple machine that conjures a vast mix of emotions. It can evoke the senses and raise the spirits of people who watch. For those who ride, it can seem like the perfect vehicle for transport. For those who race, there’s no better sensation than being on top of your gear, making mountains feel like flat roads. Cycling throws up plenty of obstacles, unknown territory, high-speed split-second considerations. Where to next? What’s around the next corner? Who cares? You’re flyin’!“
This cycling quote from Cadel Evans is part of an interview conducted just after he won the World Championships. This demonstrates the passion of competitive cyclists, not just for winning but the whole atmosphere and culture cycling creates.
2. “It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels.”
This is one of the most recognized cycling motivational quotes from Heinz Stücke. Stucke is a long-distance itinerate cyclist from Germany. He is famous for a global cycling journey spanning more than 50 years. Stücke has traveled over six hundred thousand km on a bike.
3. “I inherited that calm from my father, who was a farmer. You sow, you wait for good or bad weather, you harvest, but working is something you always need to do.”
Spanish five-time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain highlighted the importance of putting in the effort to get results.
4. “Ride a bike. Ride a bike. Ride a bike.”
After World War II, Fausto Coppi was an Italian cyclist who was dominant in many international cycling events. This is his valuable but simple advice on how to improve as a cyclist.
5. “You are one ride away from a good mood.”
British cyclist Sarah Bentley’s quote simply highlights the mental health benefits of riding a bike. These benefits come from the physical nature of riding or simply using your bike to see someone or to do something fun.
6. “Good morale in cycling comes from good legs.”
Sean Yates is a former British professional cyclist known as “the animal.” In this cycling quote, he emphasizes the importance of having strong legs. So get in the gym for some strength training!
7. “I want to be motivational and inspirational for everybody: my big aim is more women on bicycles.”
Marianne Vos is one of the most successful cyclists of all time. Her aim is to be inspiring, and she has certainly achieved her goal of seeing more female cyclists on the road.
8. “To me, it doesn’t matter whether it’s raining or the sun is shining or whatever: as long as I’m riding a bike, I know I’m the luckiest guy in the world.”
This is one of the many bike quotes from Mark Cavendish. But, rather than talking about his incredible race results, he shares his love for the sport, even after all that time in the saddle.
9. “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days.“
This is one of the most common cycling motivational quotes found on stickers, t-shirts, and memes. It isn’t clear who said it, but it definitely conveys the right message.
10. “The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew and live through it.“
Doug Bradbury was a pioneering mountain biker. This is one of those bike quotes that mountain bikers can relate to. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and surviving it is an incredible feeling.
Cycling Quotes On Determination
11. “You can say that climbers suffer the same as the other riders, but they suffer in a different way. You feel the pain, but you’re glad to be there.“
12. “If you go (with a break), you can either win or not win. If you don’t go for it, you definitely won’t win.”
Former German competitive road cyclist Jens Voigt comments on how you need to commit to getting the result you want.
13. “As long as I breathe, I attack.“
Five-time Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault demonstrates his competitive personality and determination to win. This is one of the more simple but powerful cycling motivational quotes.
14. “It doesn’t matter if you’re sprinting for an Olympic gold medal, a town sign, a trailhead, or the rest stop with the homemade brownies. If you never confront pain, you’re missing the essence of the sport.“
This bike quote from Scott Martin describes that pushing through the pain barrier is part of cycling. However, we believe that you don’t have to go at 100% all the time, just make sure you are having fun.
15. “When it’s hurting you, that’s when you can make a difference.”
This is another one of the many cycling quotes about pain, but this time, from Eddy Merckx. Here, he talks about pushing yourself for improvement.
16. “The race is won by the rider who can suffer the most.”
Another one of Eddy Merckx many bike quotes suggesting he was a glutton for punishment. However, he is the most successful cyclist of all time, so maybe he has a point!
17. “Embrace your sweat. It is your essence and your emancipation.”
American Olympic cyclist Kristin Armstrong talks about how cycling sets you free, and working hard is all part and parcel of the experience.
18. “Cycling isn’t a game; it’s a sport. Tough, hard, and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices. One plays football, tennis, or hockey. One doesn’t play at cycling.”
Jean de Gribaldy was a French road cyclist and directeur sportif who rode in the Tour de France in 1947 and 1948. Here, he talks about the seriousness of cycling and how it shouldn’t be underestimated.
19. “A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal stroke.”
Scott Stoll is well positioned to come up with some bicycle quotes, as he is a round-the-world cyclist and adventurer. In this cycling quote, he makes a great point that you need to get started to achieve anything.
20. “It never gets easier; you just get faster.”
The American former professional road racing cyclist, entrepreneur, and anti-doping advocate, Greg LeMond highlighted how you progress the more you ride. Most people ride with the same effort, but they get faster without realizing it.
21. “You can’t get good by staying home. If you want to get fast, you have to go where the fast guys are.”
In this bike quote, the late Steve Larsen discusses the importance of group rides. Riding with people better than you will make you faster, as they will push you to ride harder.
22. “When your legs scream stop and your lungs are bursting, that’s when it starts. That’s the hurt locker. Winners love it in there.”
You will have noticed that many of these cycling quotes are based on pain. Here is another one, but this time from triathlete Chris McCormack. He talks about the athletes that can operate at the edge of their physical limitations are the ones who win.
23. “When my legs hurt, I say: “Shut up, legs! Do what I tell you to do!”
This is another one of Jens Voigt’s bicycle quotes, where he joins in with the mutual love of pain many cyclists share. But his method is to verbally reprimand his legs to keep the pedals turning.
24. “Ride as much or as little, as long or as short as you feel. But ride.”
Here, Eddy Merckx gives us one of the more refreshing cycling motivational quotes. You don’t have to ride with your legs and body screaming in pain; just get out and ride.
25. “Don’t buy upgrades; ride upgrades.”
Eddy Merckx was full of these bicycle quotes, and this one is a great one to think about when you feel like upgrading your bike. Maybe you would benefit more from shaving weight off your belly than your bike?
Bicycle quotes by non-professionals
Cycling is one of the most accessible sports in the world. Therefore cycling motivational quotes can come from many directions. You don’t have to be an elite sportsperson to advocate cycling. So here are some bicycle quotes by non-professionals:
26. “Bicycles are the most efficient vehicles on the planet, 50 times more efficient than cars, and twice as efficient as walking.”
27. “One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle.”
This is a thought-provoking quote by Michael Palin. When you think about it, your bike has given you so much freedom over the years, and riding one has become a passion. Bikes are genuinely life-changing.
28. “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking”
Arthur Conan Doyle on how cycling, no matter how little you do, can improve your mental health.
29. “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.”
American novelist Ernest Hemingway describes how riding a bike is the best way to experience new places.
30. “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle, and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
The late-great Bishop Desmond Tutu may not have looked like a serious cyclist, but he definitely had the right idea.
31. “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.”
Former U.S president John F Kennedy said this, which speaks volumes from someone with his life experience.
32. “Cyclists see considerably more of this beautiful world than any other class of citizens. A good bicycle, well applied, will cure most ills this flesh is heir to.”
In 1892, New Yorker and bicycling evangelist Dr K.K. Doty gave one of his most famous cycling quotes. This quote shows that the physical and mental benefits of cycling have been recognized since the early days.
33. “You either love spinning the pedals and watching scenery whiz by, or you don’t. And if you love it, not much can sour you on the idea of riding your bike.”
Keith Mills, capturing the essence of the feeling of cycling. This is definitely one to remember as the spring and summer approach, and it is time to dust off your bike.
34. “In the context of the great debates about identity politics — are you gay or straight, nationalist or republican, British or English and so on — I would ask, “Do you ride a bike?” I love everything about the machine — the sensation of the tires on the road, the mobility — and I love the fact that you have this intimate relationship with the elements and the landscape.”
Beatrix Campbell beautifully demonstrates how inclusive cycling is. It doesn’t matter who you are, you can enjoy the sensations and freedom cycling gives you.
35. “The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.”
Irish author Iris Murdoch talks about how bikes are the perfect form of transport. They are the purest way of getting about, and the merits will always remain, while other forms of transportation are becoming more tiresome.
Have These Cycling Quotes Inspired Or Motivated You To Ride?
Hopefully, these cycling quotes will have struck a chord with you and fired your motivation to ride. You can take inspiration from the cycling quotes that talk about pushing hard. Alternatively, you can focus on the ones that are more about the joy and freedom of cycling.
If you want some more information on cycling, check out the blogs below: